International Students

 Advice for International Students in Northern Ireland

Are you currently studying in Northern Ireland but from somewhere else in the world? Have a look at the information below to help you to figure out if you’re entitled to vote in the upcoming Northern Ireland Assembly election.

You can vote in the Northern Ireland Assembly election if you are:

  • registered to vote
  • a resident in Northern Ireland
  • aged 18 or over on 2 March 2017
  •  a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of another European Union country

(British or Irish citizens living overseas cannot vote in the Northern Ireland Assembly election.)

A full list of Commonwealth countries, British Overseas Territories and EU States from which students are eligible to vote can be accessed via the Electoral Office website here.

When registering to vote you may be asked for a bit more information or proof of identity compared to standard applications from within Northern Ireland. This is because if you are a resident from Northern Ireland the information on your registration form is checked against government databases, however when someone is new to Northern Ireland this information will not be available. If you are asked to provide more information, it’s very much on a case by case basis, but it’s likely you would just be asked to provide something like a passport, drivers’ license, or bank statement.

Students can get further advice by calling the helpline (08004320 712) or by calling in to their local electoral office.